If you wish to apply for access to the COVID-19 Data Research Hub for research purposes, this page will provide you with the information and resources you need. Please note that to apply for access to this data, you must be a registered researcher from a registered institution in Ireland. Read information on the registration process.
Researchers will require separate approvals from the Research Data Governance Board (RDGB), a Research Ethics Committee (REC) and the Health Research Consent Declaration Committee (HRCDC) before the Central Statistics Office (CSO) will consider the application.
Once an application is submitted, it is processed as follows:
- All eligible applications are triaged and prepared by the RDGB Secretariat, on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The RDGB Secretariat forwards all eligible applications to the CSO for a preliminary review, to confirm that they are within the CSO scope.
- The RDGB Secretariat informs the researcher of the outcome of this preliminary CSO review, and, as appropriate, advises the researcher to progress separate applications to the relevant institutional REC for ethics approval and to the HRCDC for a consent exemption. A dedicated HRCDC application form has been developed to facilitate applying for a consent declaration for the purpose of processing RMFs from the COVID-19 Data Research Hub.
- The RDGB then convenes to consider the application, according to agreed criteria, in order to confirm for the CSO that the application is for a valid health research project that is in-scope as a COVID-19 project.
- If the RDGB makes a positive recommendation and the researcher provides the RDGB with evidence of approval from the REC and HRCDC submissions, the application is forwarded to the CSO for final approval using the Research Microdata File (RMF) process.
- The CSO makes the final decision on access to relevant COVID-19 health data.
Please note that the number of applications reviewed at each meeting may be capped. Applicants will be informed of the RDGB meeting where their application will be reviewed.
For an at-a-glance overview of the application process, you can download the flow chart below outlining each step and the role of each entity.
To apply to the RDGB for access to the COVID-19 Data Research Hub, please complete and submit the following application form and CV template, consulting with the guidance notes provided below.
The RDGB application form and CV template must be completed by the Lead Researcher and submitted by email in dot doc (.doc) format to COVIDdatahub@hrb.ie. Section C, the declaration, must be countersigned by the Research Organisation’s RMF contact (proposed RMF contact).
You can find links to additional resources in support of your application below:
- CSO Research Organisation Registration Application Form
- CSO Researcher Registration Application Form
- HRCDC guidance on applying for a consent declaration and application form (please note that a dedicated HRCDC application form has been developed to facilitate applying for a consent declaration for the purpose of processing RMFs from the COVID Data Hub)
There is also a CSO Researcher Liaison for provisional advice on available COVID-19 data and on CSO safeguards and protocols in advance of application submission. Contact: Sanela Jojkic, CSO Statistician. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find information on upcoming RDGB meetings and decisions in the corresponding section of our website. View details of upcoming RDGB meetings and decisions.