The need may arise to extend the expiration date of an award. It is the policy of the HRB to facilitate such an extension to the award where it is satisfied that such an action will ensure the completion of the funded project according to the agreed budget, objectives and deliverables for that project.
1. The HRB may approve a request to extend the duration of an active HRB Award for a maximum period of 12 months beyond the End Date specified in the Grant Letter. Exceptions to this 12 month maximum extension period are only allowed in cases of long term illness and maternity leave.
2. A request for a no-cost extension must be made in writing by the Host Institution (HI), on the form provided (Grant Amendment Form), not less than 2 months before the agreed End Date. Failure to provide timely notification to the HRB may result in disapproval of a request or delays in processing the request.
3. In making a request for a no-cost extension, the HI must provide justification and must assure the HRB that the no-cost extension is required to ensure completion of the previously agreed project within the funds already made available.
4. The no-cost extension must in no way impact on the agreed budget, objectives and deliverables of the project and the budget will not be re-costed to accommodate the extension.
Process and documentation required
The following process and documentation is required in order to formally effect a no-cost extension of a HRB Research Award:
1. The Host Institution must return a completed RB Grant Amendment Request Form to the HRB Research Strategy and Funding Directorate.
2. The HI must address the following in the No-Cost Extension section of the HRB Grant Amendment Request Form:
- the reasons for the proposed no-cost extension(s) and the award(s) involved in the request
- assurance that there will be no significant changes to the agreed work programme(s), objectives or deliverables, and that the necessary infrastructure and supports will continue to be available to complete the work
- where changes to animal licences, ethics or any other approvals are involved as a result of the no-cost extension, details should be provided on the form.
3. The HRB may request additional information as necessary to accomplish its review of the request. Receipt of a request from the HI does not in itself guarantee approval of a no-cost extension.
4. Completed request form should be sent to: grantchanges(at)hrb.ie