The need may arise to amend the Commencement date or End date of a grant. It is the policy of the HRB to facilitate such an amendment to the grant where it is satisfied that such an action will ensure the completion of the funded project in accordance with the agreed budget, objectives and deliverables for that project. This policy covers deferral of the Commencement date of a grant or suspension of a grant for a fixed period.
1. The HRB may approve a once-off request to:
- A deferral of the Commencement Date of the grant from that which was identified by the Host Institution (HI) and confirmed by the Principal Investigator (PI) in their respective declarations furnished with or subsequent to the Acceptance Documentation
- A suspension of a grant for a fixed period of time
Requests to extend the term of an active grant, at no cost to the HRB, (a No Cost Extension) are outlined on our No Cost Extension page and should be applied for on the dedicated form.
2. A request for deferral or suspension must be made in writing by the HI on the form provided. Failure to provide timely notification to the HRB may result in the rejection of a request or delays in processing the request.
3. In making a request for deferral or suspension the HI must provide justification and must assure the HRB that the amendment is required to ensure completion of the previously agreed project within the funds already made available.
4. The deferral or suspension must in no way impact on the agreed budget, objectives and deliverables of the project and the budget will not be re-costed to accommodate the amendment.
Process and documentation required
The following process and documentation is required in order to formally effect a deferral or suspension of a HRB Research Award:
1. The HI must return a completed Grant Amendment Form to the HRB Research Strategy and Funding Directorate.
2. The HI must address the following in the Grant Amendment Form:
- the reasons for the proposed amendment and the award(s) involved in the request.
- assurance that there will be no significant changes to the agreed work programme(s), objectives or deliverables, and that the necessary infrastructure and supports will continue to be available to complete the work.
- where changes to animal licences, ethics or any other approvals are involved as a result of the amendment, details should be provided on the form.
3. Where a deferral or suspension is approved, the HRB will issue a letter of confirmation to the Host Institution, copied to the Principal Investigator.
4. Completed request forms should be sent via email to: