Summer Student Scholarship (SS) 2019
The Summer Student Scholarships support undergraduate students in health or social care-related disciplines to complete short research projects during summer 2019. The purpose of the scholarships is to encourage an interest in research and to give the student an opportunity to become familiar with some research techniques.
Scheme at a glance
|Funding available||Up to €2,400 per award|
|Duration of funding||Up to eight weeks|
- Details of this scheme
In line with the HRB strategy, the project must fall within one of the following research areas: patient-oriented and clinical research, health services research or population health research. Applications that focus solely or predominantly on basic biomedical research are not eligible.
The HRB will make an award to a host institution nominated in the application. Summer Scholars will be paid €300 per week for a maximum of eight weeks by the host institution.
- Who can apply?
The Summer Student Scholarships are open to undergraduate students who are studying in a relevant discipline at a third-level institution in Ireland.
The Lead applicants must not:
- Be in the first or final year of their degree course;
- Have held a HRB Summer Student Scholarship previously;
- Have previously conducted a PhD and/or MSc by research and/or a taught MSc with a significant research component;
- Have worked as a research assistant or research technician or any role with a significant research component;
- Be registered in an intercalated degree course that has a research component such as research placements, MSc or PhD.
- How to apply
All applications must be made using the HRB Grant Electronic Management System (GEMS) https://grants.hrb.ie. GEMS will close automatically at the deadline.
The application must have been reviewed and approved by the signatory approver at the research office (or equivalent) in the host institution before it is submitted to the HRB. Therefore, applicants should ensure that they give the signatory approver sufficient time before the scheme closing date to review the application and approve it on GEMS. Please note that many host institutions specify internal deadlines for this procedure.
- Contact us
Dr Anne Costello
- Apply for this award