The Health Research Board (HRB) was formed by the amalgamation of the Medico-Social Research Board and the Medical Research Council of Ireland.
The HRB was established under the Health (Corporate Bodies) Act 1961 by S.I. No. 279/1986 - The Health Research Board (Establishment) Order, 1986.
There were minor modifications to this founding statutory instrument with S.I. No. 452/1986 - The Health Research Board (Establishment) Order, 1986 (Amendment) Order, 1986.
In June 2007, S.I. No. 305/2007 - The Health Research Board (Establishment) (Amendment) (No. 3) Order 2007 came into effect and this amended the Board composition, reducing it from a 16 member Board to a ten member one.
From 1986 to July 2014 the HRB headquarters were at 73 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2. In July 2014, the HRB moved to a new location, Grattan House, 67-72 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2.
Chairs of the Health Research Board
- Dr WA Watts 1987 - 1989
- Professor MX FitzGerald 1990 - 1997
- Professor MB Murphy 1997 - 2002
- Professor H Brady 2002 - 2003
- Professor D Fitzgerald 2003 - 2007
- Mr Reg Shaw 2007 - 2012
- Dr Declan Bedford 2012 to 2017
- Professor Jane Grimson 2018 to present
Chief Executives of the Health Research Board
- Lt Comdr EJ Furness and Mr J O'Gorman 1987 - 1988 (Jointly in caretaker roles)
- Dr JV O'Gorman 1988 - 1998
- Dr R Barrington 1998 - 2007
- Dr Hamish Sinclair (Acting) 2007 - 2008
- Mr Enda Connolly 2008 - 2014
- Dr Graham Love 2014 - 2017
- Dr Mairead O'Driscoll (Acting) 2017 - 2018
- Dr Darrin Morrissey 2018 - to present