Summer Student Scholarships (SS) 2022 (Next call TBC)
The Summer Student Scholarships support undergraduate students in health or social care-related disciplines to complete short research projects during the summer. The purpose of the scholarship scheme is to encourage an interest in research and give students an opportunity to become familiar with research techniques.
- Details of this scheme
In line with the HRB strategy, the project must fall within one of the following research areas: patient-oriented and clinical research, health services research or population health research. Applications that focus solely or predominantly on basic biomedical research are not eligible.
The HRB will make an award to a host institution nominated in the application. Summer Scholars will be paid €300 per week for a maximum of eight weeks by the host institution.
- Who can apply?
The Summer Student Scholarships are open to undergraduate students who are studying in a relevant discipline at a third-level institution in Ireland.
The Lead applicants must:
- be an undergraduate student;
- be currently studying full-time or part-time in a health/social care-related discipline at a university/third level institute in Ireland. This may include but is not limited to health sciences, social sciences, informatics, mathematics, statistics, and management sciences;
- be able undertake the scholarship on a full-time basis for a maximum of eight weeks during the summer of 2022;
- not be in the first or final year of your NFQ Level 8 degree course;
- not be in the final year of the undergraduate component of a degree course which includes an optional or additional year or more for further level 9 or 10 qualification such as MSc MPharm or PhD;
- not have previously conducted a PhD and/or MSc by research;
- not have worked as a research assistant, research technician or in any role with experience of 8 weeks or more active research;
- not have undertaken any research project longer than 8 weeks consecutively, in a full-time capacity including HRB or other summer student scholarships.
- How to apply
All applications must be made using the HRB Grant Electronic Management System (GEMS) https://grants.hrb.ie. GEMS will close automatically at the deadline.
The application must have been reviewed and approved by the signatory approver at the research office (or equivalent) in the host institution before it is submitted to the HRB. Therefore, applicants should ensure that they give the signatory approver sufficient time before the scheme closing date to review the application and approve it on GEMS. Please note that many host institutions specify internal deadlines for this procedure.
- Contact us
Dr Anne Costello
- Apply for this award