Published: 9 April 2018
HRB Board appoint Darrin Morrissey as Chief Executive
Dr Darrin Morrissey will take up the position of Chief Executive of the Health Research Board (HRB) in July 2018.
Welcoming the appointment Prof Jane Grimson, Chairperson of the HRB Board, said;
'We are delighted that Darrin will shortly be joining the HRB as our new CEO. He brings to the post many years of experience in both pharmaceutical and biotech industries, from research to manufacturing to business development.
‘Darrin is a progressive leader and a key influencer and has proven he can deliver results. In recent years, as Director of Programmes and Investments at Science Foundation Ireland, he has led on the development of international and industry partnerships and played a key role in the implementation of the national science strategy and the delivery of high-value impact from the State’s investment in research.
‘I believe Darrin's experience and strategic outlook will ensure the HRB continues to goes from strength to strength'.
Speaking about the new role, Dr Morrissey said;
'Research has the power to change things for the better. This is perhaps most tangible for people when it comes to health. I will work alongside the team at the HRB to ensure we support research and deliver evidence to improve people's health, patient care and health policy’.
Darrin Morrissey is currently Director of Programmes and Investments at Science Foundation Ireland. In this role he has been responsible for :-
- leading the delivery of new and improved research funding programmes, including SFI Research Centres which have delivered exceptional economic and scientific impact nationally and internationally
- strengthening the orientation and responsiveness of SFIs funding programmes in line with evolving needs of industry
- leading the development of a wide range of international partnerships
- leading the development of SFI strategy in relation to Brexit
- driving structural changes to empower and enhance team performance.
Prior experience includes 16 years spanning research, manufacturing and business development success in both pharmaceutical and biotech industries. In these roles his work ranged from leading the development of the GSK oncology business in Ireland, to managing clinical trials across various therapy areas, and from developing national business strategies for GSK, to the launch of melanoma other oncology products on global markets.
For more information contact:
Gillian Markey, Communications Manager, Health Research Board
m +353 87 2288514 e email@example.com